Sunday

Interview with Zoro Moreira from Evolve MMA


BJJ World Champion Zorobabel Moreira is a member of the Evolve Fight Team, Asia's top professional fight team. He has a 5-1 professional MMA record and currently fights for ONE Fighting Championship, Asia's largest MMA organization. He will be fighting "The Ultimate Fighter" veteran Andy Wang on September 3, 2011 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium at ONE Fighting Championship: CHAMPION vs CHAMPION.

Zoro Moreira from the Evolve Fight Team

When did you first start learning BJJ and why?
When I was a little boy, I wanted to learn Muay Thai after seeing it on TV. But there was no Muay Thai where I lived. So I decided to learn BJJ.

How long did it take you to get your black belt?
It took me about 10 years before Carlos Gracie Jr gave me my black belt. I trained every day for 4 or 5 hours.

What BJJ competitions have you won?
Too many to remember! I have around 3,000 BJJ matches in my career. I have competed and won in almost every tournament in Brazil....Mundials World Championship, Brazil Nationals, and many others.

How did you end up in Singapore?
I didn't have any life in Brazil. So when Evolve gave me the opportunity, it was a dream for me. Now I have a great life here in Singapore.

How did the loss to Joe Ray affect you?
I was sad. Then I realize that I need to learn Muay Thai. So I train hard.

Do you think you have improved as a fighter since then?
I think so. My coaches...Kru Yo and Kru Chatri...they tell me that I have improved a lot in my Muay Thai. Also, I learned a lot about MMA from Shinya (Aoki). He is great teammate for me. Everyone at Evolve is a world champion. So I learn a lot.

You are going to be making your debut at lightweight and I think you might be the tallest fighter in the world at 155 lbs, how do you do it?
It's no problem. I just have to be careful what I eat.

Can you tell us what weight you walk around at and how much you plan to weigh come fight night on September 3rd?
I am normally around 80 kilos when I don't fight. I will be 70 kilos for this fight...no problem.

You took a fight against Ferrid Kheder, who at the time had lost only one of his last 15 fights, on very short notice, were you in two minds about accepting that fight when it was offered to you?
I don't understand the question. I love to compete. This is my dream. I don't care who the opponent is.

You are much less experienced than Kheder, how much did that win do for your confidence?
I don't know. I am still young for my MMA career. I am just happy that I won.

You landed some solid knees and used a lot of teeps in that fight, have you been working hard on your Muay Thai?
Yes, I train Muay Thai every day very hard...many days I do Muay Thai 2-3x a day...I want to be high level striker.

Andy Wang is also a BJJ black belt and has three times as many fights as you, what are your thoughts on fighting him?
He is tough fighter with more experience than me. But I believe in my coaches. Professor Gordinho and Kru Chatri give me the right strategy and game plan for this fight.

You are going to have a substantial size and reach advantage in this fight, do you think that will be one of your keys to victory?
I don't know. I will try my best.

The 155 lbs division contains so many good fighters like Vuyisile Colossa, Ole Laursen and Eduard Folayang. Is there anyone in particular you would like to fight?
Anybody. I don't choose. I can fight anybody. No problem.

You seem like a very relaxed and laid back individual. Why did you choose to become a fighter?
This is my dream since I was a little boy in Brazil.

You seem to have a lot of friends and fans in Singapore. How much does it mean to you to be the home crowd favourite?
I don't know. I will do my best for everybody.

Renzo and Gregor Gracie will both be at Evolve MMA this month as willl Shinya Aoki and Rafael Dos Anjos. How much does it help to have world class trainers and training partners, and in particular to have two world class lightewights to spar with in Shinya and Rafael?
For sure, Evolve is the best team in the world. This helps me a lot.


Evolve Mixed Martial Arts® is Asia's premier brand of MMA academies. With World Champions in Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Mixed Martial Arts, Boxing, and No Gi Grappling, Evolve MMA is the top martial arts training organization in Asia. It ranks among the best martial arts academies in the world.