Wednesday

The Power of Love

Over the last week, we asked several instructors on the Evolve Instructor Team a simple question:

"What drives you in life and why?"

Here is what they answered.

"To spread the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is my passion in life.  I am on top of the world when I see how BJJ changes a person inside and outside.  This is it.  I have been doing BJJ for almost 30 years and it is my life and my love.  I love my job.  It's 11pm right now and I am still here because I have the best job in the world.   I have seen so many times how BJJ has helped people.  For me, Evolve is about making a difference in people's lives."
-Rafael "Gordinho" Correa de Lima, BJJ World Champion and 3rd Degree Black Belt

"Muay Thai is the only thing that I ever have known all of my life.  I really don't have anything else.  Oh wait, I can cook great Thai food!  (Big laughter)  But other than that, I really do not have anything.  Lucky for me, I love Muay Thai with all of my heart!  I was born into an impoverished family and I had my first professional fight at age of 8 so that I could put food on the table for my family.  I was only paid $2.00 for that fight, but I was the happiest kid in the world because I helped to pay for a few meals with it for my parents and siblings.  From the very beginning, I found joy in giving and Muay Thai allowed me to give to my loved ones.  More than 40 years of Muay Thai later, I am the happiest man in the world because I am able to give my Muay Thai to our students at Evolve.  Muay Thai saved my life and I know that it will help many students at Evolve reach their potential in life.  Go Evolve!  Go Sityodtong!"
-Daorung "Papa" Sityodtong, Trainer of World Champions

"As many of you already know, I was an orphan.  When I was 7 years old, I lived on the streets by myself.  I suffered many years of hunger, tears, and loneliness on the streets.  (Click here for an article by Men's Health Magazine on Yoddecha's remarkable life story.)  By a complete miracle and fluke, Muay Thai found me.  Kru Yodtong Senanan of the Sityodtong Camp rescued me and turned me into a World Champion.  Muay Thai gave me everything and now it is my turn to give back.  My goal in life is simple:  When I die, I want to know that I have given more than I have received.  I don't have much to offer, but in my small way, I want to leave this world a better place.  Muay Thai is my love.  It has given me so much and I want my students to inherit all the beautiful wisdom of Muay Thai.  People think Muay Thai is about fighting.  But, I can tell you that Muay Thai is really a philosophy on how to live your life to the fullest."
-Yoddecha Sityodtong, Muay Thai World Champion

"Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is my greatest passion in the world.  I eat, dream, and sleep BJJ.  It gave me courage, confidence, mental strength...it gave me life.  When I teach BJJ, I am so happy because it is my love.  To see my students grow as fighters and human beings...this makes me happiest.  With love, everything is better.  I love my students at Evolve and I love BJJ."
-Almiro Barros, BJJ World Championship Silver Medalist

"I remember when I was 17 years old.  I finally arrived to Sityodtong Camp for the first time.  It was like a dream to me.  I was the happiest kid in the world.  I was so poor that I couldn't believe there was actually a ring for me to train in!  And so I slept in the ring that night because everything I had ever wanted was right there.  I was a naive boy full of the craziest dreams.  Boxing unleashed my potential as a human being.  I want to spread the beautiful art of boxing because it has given me so much.  It is a wonderful journey of conquering and unleashing oneself.  I love boxing with all of my heart and soul.  I love watching my students flourish.  There is nothing in the world that I would rather be doing."
-Yodsanan Sityodtong, WBA Boxing World Champion  

"I would gladly trade my World Championship title for all the life lessons that BJJ taught me.  Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu taught me the meaning of life.  It taught me how to live.  BJJ is in my heart.  I have trained non-stop ever since I was 14 years old.  It gave me confidence, discipline, health, courage, mental strength, and so much more.  I love BJJ.  It is in my blood.  I feel so blessed that I can share my greatest love with my students.  I have already seen so many lives transformed by BJJ at Evolve.  BJJ changes you on the inside.  I love waking up every day to teach my students.  BJJ is one of the greatest gifts that I can give to another human being."
-Leandro "Brodinho" Issa, BJJ World Champion

"For as long as I can remember, Muay Thai has been my greatest passion in life.  The crazy thing is that it is this way for all of us instructors at Evolve.  We all LOVE what we do with all of our hearts.  When I was a little boy growing up in Thailand, I fell in love with Muay Thai on my first day at Sityodtong Camp in Pattaya.  I remember that day vividly - I was full of excitement, nervousness, and fear.  It was so beautiful watching all those World Champions train.  I was mesmerized with their physical prowess and agility.  It wasn't until years of training that I later came to realize the true meaning of Muay Thai.  Muay Thai is a journey of continuous self-improvement - MIND, BODY, and SPIRIT.  It changes you as a human being.  It gives you the confidence to chase your dreams.  It gives you the mental toughness to overcome adversity.  It teaches you honor in defeat and humility in victory.  It teaches you so much more than just defending yourself.  At Evolve, we believe passionately in the power of martial arts to unleash the human potential.   I love watching our students learn and grow.  Nothing gives me a greater high.  I love knowing that Muay Thai has helped yet another person.  Evolve is about making this world a better place by helping people to evolve into everything they can be.  Every day, I pour my heart and soul into Evolve because I want to make this world a better place by sharing my greatest passion in life." 
-Chatri Sityodtong, Muay Thai Instructor and Fighter


Evolve Mixed Martial Arts®.  Achieve Greatness Within™.